Blekko is an adware application. This program also goes by the name of Blekko.com Redirection Virus. The toolbar was first spotted on November 1, 2012. It was then thought to be a reliable search engine whose purpose is to provide optimal search results and limit the number of sponsored links show in the results or get rid of them altogether.
But know that Blekko will modify your browser’s settings once it has been installed. It will change your home page and default search engine. Now, when you try to search for something online or want to go to some website you will be taken to blekko.com. You can also be taken to other unknown websites. Blekko it an advertising platform, and it is paid on a pay-per-click basis so each time your are transferred to a promoted web page Blekko’s developers get paid.
Being constantly redirected to unknown pages is not only extremely annoying, but harmful, as well. As the toolbar’s developers do not check whether the websites they are promoting are reliable, you may be transferred to a page that is either compromised or malicious. This way viruses may easily enter your system and steal your sensitive information.
Blekko is also reported to generate pop-up advertisements. Moreover, some of the pop-ups may be misleading so you could again be taken to a harmful website. Malware, spyware, scamware, keyloggers, Trojans horses, and other viruses can then enter your system. Once they have acquired your personal details, credit card numbers, online bank accounts, and other sensitive information, they will send it to cyber criminals who will you it for their own benefit.
Furthermore, Blekko is also able to record information on your browsing activities. It can collect your browsing history, favorite pages, online accounts, passwords, etc. This is a serious risk for your security as you do not know who will have access to this information. If it falls into the hands of cyber criminals, your money and identity can be stolen.
Blekko creates serious risks for the security of your system and information. This is why, it is best to remove it. If you find a message that says “Add Blekko to your search options for spam-free search” on the right side of your browser, this is the website that the adware is promoted on. Do not click on it or Blekko will be downloaded and installed on your computer, and it will start its malicious activities.
To get rid of Blekko, follow the guide below. After removing this application, it is also recommended that you have your system scanned with a reliable security tool such as SpyHunter. This way, you will make sure that there aren’t any intruders on your PC, and if there are, to remove them. By doing this, you will guarantee that your system and information are safe.
Removal from Internet Explorer:
1. Open the Tools menu and go to Manage add-ons.
2. You should be on Toolbars and Extensions. Find Blekko Toolbar and disable it.
3. Now, click Search Providers on the left side.
4. Delete the unwanted search provider and select another one as your default search engine.
5. Save changes and close window.
6. Open the Tools menu again.
7. Go to Internet Options, under the General tab, instead of the current address, enter another web page. Click OK.
Removal from Google Chrome:
1. Press Alt+F. A menu should appear.
2. Go to Tools and then to Extensions. Remove Blekko Toolbar using the trash can icon.
3. Click Settings on the left side of the window, under On Startup, select Open a page or a set of pages.
4. Click Set pages, replace the current home page address with another one. Click OK.
5. Find the Search header, click on Manage search engines.
6. Remove the unwanted search engine and replace it with any other one. Click Done.
7. Restart the browser.
Removal from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open the Tools menu and click on Add-ons.
2. Select the Extensions menu and disable Blekko Toolbar. Close the tab.
3. Open the Tools menu again and go to Options.
4. Under General tab, enter a new home page address instead of the current one.
5. Click OK and close the menu.
6. Go to the Search box at the top right corner of Firefox window and click on the search engine icon.
7. Click Manage Search Engines. Remove the unwanted search engine and select another one as your default one.
8. Click OK.
Download Removal ToolRun a FREE spyware scan and easily remove Blekko virus
Tags: remove BlekkoBy Linda Jackson